West Bengal Government Holidays 2023
West Bengal is generally closed on all public holidays in all central and state government offices. There are totally 25 public holidays in West Bengal and has some special holidays. West Bengal State Government has announced the 2023 Holiday List for its State Government Administrative Offices, Educational Institutions and Banks. West Bengal government employees will get long leave for Durga Puja and Kali Puja in the year 2023.
HOLIDAYS 2023 – West Bengal Government Public Holidays for the year 2023
Government of West Bengal
Finance (Audit) Department
325, Sarat Chatterjee Road
Howrah, the 21st October, 2022.
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881), read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(l) dated the 8th June, 1957 the Governor is pleased to declare the days as specified at List-1 below to be Public Holidays during the year 2023.
2. The Governor is also pleased to notify that the offices under the Government of West Bengal with the exception of the offices of the Registrar of Assurances, Kolkata and Collector of the Stamp Revenue, Kolkata shall be closed on the days as specified at List-II below which are not declared to be public holidays, during the year 2023.
3. Further, the Governor is pleased to declare that the days as specified at List-III may be observed as Sectional Holidays in the year 2023 for the employees of different communities mentioned against the day.
West Bengal Govt Public Holiday List 2023
List-1 (Public Holidays in 2023 under the N. I. Act)
- Birth Day of Swami Vivekananda – 12th January 2023 – Thursday
- Netaji’s Birth Day – 23rd January 2023 – Monday
- Republic Day – 26th January 2023 – Thursday
- Saraswati Puja [Sree Panchami] – 26th January 2023 – Thursday
- Doljatra – 7th March 2023 – Tuesday
- Mahavir Jayanti – 4th April 2023 – Tuesday
- Good Friday – 7th April 2023 – Friday
- Birth Day of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar – 14th April 2023 – Friday
- **Bengali New Year’s Day (Nababarsha) – 15th April 2023 – Saturday
- **Eid-UI-Fitr – 22nd April 2023 – Saturday
- May Day – 1st May 2023 – Monday
- Buddha Purnima – 5th May 2023 – Friday
- Birth Day of Rabindranath Tagore – 9th May 2023 – Tuesday
- Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) – 29th June 2023 – Thursday
- **Muharram – 29th July 2023 – Saturday
- Independence Day – 15th August 2023 – Tuesday
- Birth Day of Gandhiji – 2nd October 2023 – Monday
- **Mahalaya – 14th October 2023 – Saturday
- **Durga Puja, Maha Saptami – 21st October 2023 – Saturday
- Durga Puja, Maha Nabami – 23rd October 2023 – Monday
- Durga Puja, Dasami – 24th October 2023 – Tuesday
- **Lakshmi Puja – 28th October 2023 – Saturday
- Bhratridwitiya – 15th November 2023 – Wednesday
- Birth Day of Guru Nanak – 27th November 2023 – Monday
- Christmas Day – 25th December 2023 – Monday
Yearly Closing of Bank Account: 1st April (Saturday) (for Banks only)
(Note: The Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday including Treasuries, Sub-Treasuries shall remain open).
West Bengal Govt Gazetted Holiday List 2023
List-II (Holidays under the order of State Government in 2023)
- Day before Saraswati Puja – 25th January 2023 – Wednesday
- Birth Day of Thakur Panchanan Barma – 14th February 2023 – Tuesday
- **Shivaratri – 18th February 2023 – Saturday
- Holi (Day after Doljatra) – 8th March 2023 – Wednesday
- Day before Eid-UI-Fitr – 21st April 2023 – Friday
- Rathayatra – 20th June 2023 – Tuesday
- Birth Day of Poet Bhanu Bhakt (for Darjeeling & Kalimpong District only) – 13th July 2023 – Thursday
- Rakhi Bandhan – 30th August 2023 – Wednesday
- Janmastami – 6th September 2023 – Wednesday
- Fateha-Dwaz-Daham – 28th September 2023 – Thursday
- Durga Puja, Maha Chaturthi – 18th October 2023 – Wednesday
- Durga Puja, Maha Panchami – 19th October 2023 – Thursday
- Durga Puja, Maha Shashthi – 20th October 2023 – Friday
- Additional Day for Durga Puja – 25th October 2023 – Wednesday
- Additional Day for Durga Puja – 26th October 2023 – Thursday
- Additional Day for Durga Puja – 27th October 2023 – Friday
- Additional Day for Kali Puja – 13th November 2023 – Monday
- Additional Day for Kali Puja – 14th November 2023 – Tuesday
- Birth Day of Birsa Munda – 15th November 2023 – Wednesday
- Day after Bhratridwitiya – 16th November 2023 – Thursday
- Additional Day for Chhat Puja – 20th November 2023 – Monday
(##) Birth Day of Pandit Raghunath Murmu falls on 5th May 2023 – Friday, which is a holiday under N. I. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-II.
List-III (Sectional Holidays in 2023)
- Easter Saturday – 8th April 2023 (Saturday) [for Christians only]
- Hul Diwas – 30th June 2023 (Friday) [for Adivasi (Santhal) only.]
- Karam Puja – To be notified later on.
($$) Shab-e-Barat, Sectional Holiday for Muslim Community falls on 8th March, 2023 (Wednesday), which is a Holiday under State Government & therefore has not been shown separately in List-III.
1. Sundays are holidays under the Negotiable Instrument Act.
2. In the year 2023, the following festivals / occasions fall on Sundays which are Public Holidays under N. I. Act and hence have not been included in lists:
i) New Year’s Day – 1st January 2023 – Sunday
ii) Birth Day of Guru Rabidas (for the followers of Guru Rabidas) – 5th February 2023 – Sunday
iii) Birth Day of Shri Shri Harichand Thakur (Madhu Krishna TroyodashiTithi) – 19th March 2023 – Sunday
iv) Durga Puja Maha Ashtami – 22nd October 2023 – Sunday
v) Kali Puja – 12th November 2023 – Sunday
vi) Chhat Puja – 19th November 2023 – Sunday
3. The holiday with double asterisk marks i.e. (**) is applicable to those Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
4. General instructions as laid down hereunder are to be followed in case of Muslim festivals.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED IN ALL TYPES OF HOLIDAYS INCLUDING HOLIDAYS FOR THE MUSLIM FESTIVALS
1) No substitute holiday shall be allowed if any of the festival – holidays initially notified subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
2) If there is any change in the date of Eid-UI-Fitr, Id-Ud-Zoha, Muharram, Fateha-Dwaz-Daham, Shab- e-Barat depending upon the sighting of the moon, holiday will be declared by a separate order for the date on which the festival would be actually observed in lieu of the date originally notified as holiday for this festival.
3) It may happen that the change of date of abovementioned occasions has to be notified at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement would be made through T.V. / A.I.R. / News Papers and Heads of Department / Offices of the State Government may take action according to such announcements without waiting for formal order about the change of date.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- Dr. Manoj Pant
Additional Chief Secretary
to the Government of West Bengal
Howrah, the 21st October, 2022.
Copy forwarded for information and necessary action to:
1) The Principal Accountant General (A&E), West Bengal, Treasury Buildings, Kolkata – 700 001.
2) The Principal Accountant General (Audit) West Bengal, Treasury Buildings, Kolkata – 700 001.
3) The Accountant General (Receipts, Works and Local Bodies Audit), West Bengal, C.G.O. Complex, 3rd M.S.O. Buildings, 5th Floor, Block-DF, Sector-1, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700 064.
4) The Principal Secretary to the Hon’ble Chief Minister, Government of West Bengal.
5) The Chief Secretary to the Government of West Bengal.
6) The P. S. to Hon’ble M. O. S. (I.C.), Finance Department, Government of West Bengal.
7) The Resident Commissioner, Government of West Bengal, A/2, State Emporia Buildings, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, New Delhi -110 001.
8) The Additional Chief Secretary / Principal Secretary / Secretary (All Departments)
9) The Commissioner, Division(AII).
10) The Special Secretary / Additional Secretary / Joint Secretary / Deputy Secretary, Finance Department.
11) The Department/Directorate.
12) The Director of Treasuries & Accounts, West Bengal, The New India Assurance Buildings, 4 Lyons Range, Kolkata – 700 001.
12) The District Magistrate / District Judge / Superintendent of Police (All).
12) The Sub-Divisional Officer (All)
15) The Pay & Accounts Officer, Kolkata Pay & Accounts Office-1, 81/2/2, Phears Lane, Kolkata-700 012.
16) The Pay & Accounts Officer, Kolkata Pay & Accounts Office-ll, P-1, Hyde Lane, Jawahar Buildings, Kolkata-700 073.
17) The Pay & Accounts Officer, Kolkata Pay & Accounts Office-Ill, IB. Market, Sector-Ill, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700 106.
18) The Registrar & D.D.O., Finance (Accounts) Department, West Bengal Secretariat, Nabanna, Howrah-711102.
19) The Accounts Officer, West Bengal Secretariat, Bikash Bhawan, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700 091.
20) Treasury Officer, .
21) Sri Sumit Mitra, Network Administrator, Finance Department, for uploading this Notification in the Finance Department Website.
to the Government of West Bengal