Due to COVID-19 Lockdown – Timelines Prescribed for CCS (CCA) Rules 1965, CCS (Pension) Rules 1972
Counting of the limitation period for the diverse purposes under CCS (CCA) Rules 1965, CCS (Pension) Rules 1972
F.No.11012/09/2016 – Estt.A-III
Government of India
Department of Personnel and Training
(Establishment A-III Desk)
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 30th March, 2020
Subject:- Counting of the limitation period for the diverse purposes under CCS (CCA) Rules, 1965, CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972- reg.
The undersigned is directed to refer to Central Civil Services (Classification, Control & Appeal) Rules, 1965 [CCS(CCA) Rules, 1965] and Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972 [CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972] and the instructions issued under these Rules wherein certain time-limes have been prescribed for various activities/ events/ procedures relating to procedures under the said Rules. For instance, in the said Rules/instructions, time limits have been prescribed for the following:-
- Review of order of suspension before its expiry date [Rule 10(6) of CCS(CCA) Rules,1965]
- Submission of written statement of defence on the charge-sheet by the charged officer [Sub Rule 4 in Rule 14 of CCS (CCA) Rules, 1965]
- Issuance of charge-sheet once a decision is taken by the Disciplinary Authority to initiate disciplinary proceedings. [DoP&T’s O.M. No. 425/04/2012-AVD-N(A) dated 29.11.2012]
- Completion of Inquiry and submission of report by the Inquiring Authority [Sub rule (24) in Rule 14 of CCS (CCA) Rules, 1965]
- Disciplinary proceedings initiated against a Pensioner shall not be in respect of an event which took place four years before such initiation.[Rule 9 of CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972]
- Acceptance of notice of VRS under Rule 48A of CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972 (The list is only illustrative and not exhaustive)
2. Consequent upon the outbreak of COVID-19, and considering the unprecedented situation of the Lockdown w.e.f. 24th March 2020, it may not be feasible to adhere to the timelines prescribed in the said Rules and to the instructions issued under the Rules. It has accordingly been decided not to count the period of the Lockdown for the purposes of adherence to the prescribed timelines, including those listed above. For example, if the due date for completing a process/ work / event at the start of the Lockdown falls after 20 days, then the due date will get postponed by the number of Lockdown days and the same number (20) of days will be available to complete the work after the Lockdown is lifted.
3. However, after the Lockdown is lifted, if the time left to complete the task is less than 15 days, then the processes may be allowed to be completed within 15 days.
4. In addition, timelines may have been prescribed for receipt of applications for direct recruitment, deputation, etc. Where the last date of receipt of application for direct recruitment, deputation etc. falls within the period of the Lockdown, the last date shall be extended by the number of days of the Lockdown. Similarly, the time limits prescribed in the CCS (Conduct) Rules, 1964, for various purposes shall also be extended by the number of days of the Lockdown.
5. These instructions are applicable only in such cases where there is an intervening Lockdown period and it will not be applicable otherwise.
Additional Secretary to the Government of India
- Periodic Review of CG Employees for Strengthening of Administration under FR 56(j)/(l) and Rule 48 of CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972 August 5, 2020 Read more…
- 7th Pay Commission Advance New Increments to Stenographers July 27, 2020 Read more…
- Further Extension of timelines for recording of PAR for the year 2019-20 July 22, 2020 Read more…
- Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Reopening of Training Institutes of the Central and State Governments July 5, 2020 Read more…
- Rotational Transfer Policy Applicable to CSSS officers Modification thereof Regarding June 30, 2020 Read more…
- Coverage under CCS (Pension) Rules 1972, in place of NPS In terms of DOPPW OM dated 17.02.2020 – Clarification June 26, 2020 Read more…
- Extension of timelines for recording of APAR of Group A, B and C officer of Central Civil Services for the year 2019-2020 – Dopt Order 2020 June 16, 2020 Read more…
- Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices During the Year 2021 June 11, 2020 Read more…
- Change of Nomenclature of Assistant, UDC and LDC Posts – Gazette Notification of Dopt Dated 5th June 2020 June 9, 2020 Read more…
- Standard Operating Procedure on Preventive Measures to Contain Spread of COVID-19 in Central Government Offices June 6, 2020 Read more…