REVISION IN WAGE STRUCTURE OF GDS – LokSabha Q&A on 25-07-2018
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS
DEPARTMENT OF POSTS
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 1379
TO BE ANSWERED ON 25th JULY, 2018
REVISION IN WAGE STRUCTURE OF GDS
1379. SHRI SANJAY KAKA PATIL:
SHRIMATI KAVITHA KALVAKUNTLA:
Will the Minister of COMMUNICATIONS be pleased to state:
(a) whether the Government has approved the revision in the wage structure and allowances of Gramin Dak Sevaks (GDS) recently and if so, the details thereof and if not, the reasons therefor;
(b) whether the Union Government is considering to constitute new pay revision committee for GDS engaged in postal service as per the recommendation made by Kamlesh Chandra Committee; and
(c) the provision being made by the Union Government with regard to revision of salary of GDS as per the recommendation of Finance Commission?
THE MINISTER OF STATE (IC) OF THE MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS & MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS (SHRI MANOJ SINHA)
(a) Yes, Madam. A summary of recommendations approved by the Government is annexed.
(b) No, Madam.
(c) The system of Gramin Dak Sevaks is unique to Department of Posts, Ministry of Communication. Department of Posts vide it’s resolution number 17-13/2013-GDS dated 19.11.2015 had constituted a One Man Committee under the Chairmanship of Shri Kamlesh Chandra, retired Member, Postal Services Board, to look into the conditions of service, emoluments and other facilities available to Gramin Dak Sevaks. The Committee had submitted it’s report on 24.11.2016. The recommendations of the Committee were examined by the Government and approved to be implemented vide orders dated 25.06.2018 and 27.06.2018. Therefore, there is no such proposal for revision of salary of GDS as per recommendation of Finance Commission
Summary of the Implementation of Wage Structure of Gramin Dak Sevaks of Department of Posts
1. One-man committee constituted under the chairmanship of Shri Kamlesh Chandra, Retd. Member, Postal Services Board submitted report on 24.11.2016. The Department has increased the minimum working hours of GDS Post Offices and GDSs to 4 hours from 3. The minimum Time Related Continuity allowance (TRCA) is increased to Rs. 10,000 and Maximum Rs. 35,480/- in a span of 31 stages* with 3% annual increase. The existing 8 categories of GDS are replaced with 2 (two) categories i.e. Branch Postmasters (BPM) and Assistant Branch Postmasters (ABPM). The existing 11 Time Related Continuity Allowance (TRCA) slabs are replaced with two slabs in each category (with 4 hours and 5 hours’ workload) as below:-
|BPMS (4 hours)||Rs.12,000-29,380|
|ABPMS (4 Hours)||Rs.10,000-24,470|
2. The Annual increase at the rate of 3% of TRCA once in a year has been implemented (as applicable to serving Central Government servants) against annual increase paid earlier @Rs. 45, 50, 60, 65, 75, 85 for different TRCA slabs.
3. The New TRCA structure and allowances is effected from 01.07.2018. The payment for the period from 01.01.2016 to date of implementation is as following: –
i. TRCA for the period mentioned above will be multiplied by a factor of 2.57.
ii. The difference between the figure thus arrived at and the wages already drawn, to be paid as arrears in one installment.
4. Other Allowances: the following allowances are implemented from 01.07.2018:-
allowance (For BPMs only
|Rs. 100/- pm||Composite Allowance is proposed as follows (For BPMs only)
BPMs providing Branch Post Office accommodation which meets the prescribed standards – Rs. 500/-
BPMs having BOs at non-standard/rent free accommodation – Rs. 250/-
|Fixed Stationary Charge (FSC)||Rs. 25/- pm for BPMs
RS. 10/- pm for other than BPMs
|Rs. 25/- ABPMS and Dak Sevaks. FSC subsumed in composite allowance for BPMs|
|Boat Allowance||Rs. 50/- pm||Boat allowance may be retained @ Rs.115/-.|
|Cash Conveyance Allowance||Rs. 50/- pm||Payment of Rs. 30/- and Rs. 50/- per occasion plus actual conveyance charges for cash conveyance of an amount less than Rs. 1 Lakh and more than Rs. 1 lakh respectively subject to maximum of charges incurred for transport by public bus|
|Cycle Maintenance Allowance||Rs. 90/- pm||@ 180/- pm|
|Combined Duty Allowance||1. GDS Branch Postmasters performing delivery or conveyance duties or both will be paid Rs. 500 P.M. for each item of work separately.
2. If the Branch Postmaster is performing delivery at the BO village only, it will be restricted to Rs. 250 P.M
3. BPM exchanging Mails at Bus stand or at Railway Stations will be compensated at the rate of Rs. 250 P.M.
|BPM for delivery OR Mail conveyance work – Rs. 45/- per day subject to maximum of Rs. 1170/- per month
BPM for delivery PLUS mail conveyance – Rs. 90/- per day subject to maximum of Rs. 2340/- per month
ABPM for BPM work – Rs. 75/- per day subject to a maximum of Rs. 1950/- per month.
ABPM/Dak Sevak for additional work of another ABPM/Dak Sevak- Rs. 45/- per day subject to a maximum of Rs. 1170/- These rates will be for combination of duties of two or more posts borne on the establishment of the office
|Risk and Hardship Allowance||Nil||Risk and Hardship allowance @ of Rs. 500/- per month to the GDS working in areas which are identified for this allowance.|
5. Other social welfare benefits : –
- Contribution to Service Discharge Benefit Scheme (SDBS) – based on NPS lite – increased from Rs. 200/- to Rs. 300/- (for both GDS and Department)
- Ex-gratia gratuity – enhanced from Rs. 60,000/- to Rs. 1.5 lakhs.
- Severance Amount – enhanced from Rs. 60,000/- to Rs. 1.5 lakhs.
- Maternity Leave – 180 days and wages for the period paid from salary head.
Source : LokSabha