Decision of Biometric Attendance System on Indian Railways
As per the decision of Central Government on the newly introduction in attendance of its employees, the detailed DOPT order is enclosed here with.
Biometric Attendance System has to be implemented on Indian Railways by 26th January, 2015. An Aadbar based Biometric Attendance System has already been successfully put in place at the Railway Board office and it has been decided to replicate the same on Zonal Railways in a phased manner.
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
All General Managers, Zonal Railways/
Production Units/ Metro/Kolkata,
CORE/Allahabad, DG/ RDSO & CAOs/PUs
Sub: Introduction of Biometric Attendance System on Indian Railways
As per decision of government contained in Department of Personnel & Training OM no./1013/9/2014/Estt.(A-III) dated 21st November 2014 (copy enclosed), Biometric Attendance System has to be implemented on Indian Railways by 26th January, 2015. An Aadbar based Biometric Attendance System has already been successfully put in place at the Railway Board office and it has been decided to replicate the same on Zonal Railways in a phased manner.
2. In the first phase of this project it has been decided to cover those staff working at Zonal HQ office, administrative office of Production Units, RDSO, Kolkatta Metro, CORE Allahabad and Divisional headquarter offices who do not fall under shift duty roster. Attached offices falling under the Zonal HQ and Divisional HQ offices shall not be included in the project at present.
3. A compilation of processes for implementation of AEBAS activities as compiled by C&IS Dte. of Railway Board is enclosed for guidance. Railway offices may encourage the staff to obtain Aadhar Registration numbers and also organise camps on their premises for this purpose to facilitate the process.
4. Zonal Railways and Production Units may take necessary steps to put in place an operational Biometric Attendance System at the earliest, for which devices may be procured as per standard procedure through DGS&D rate contracts. The items have been approved by Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY)/NIC, and come with inbuilt warranty for specific periods. The warranties as available to DeitY should be obtained by the
purchasing units as well.
5. The vendor list, specification and prices etc for procuring the devices may be obtained from the official website of National Informatics Centre Services Inc. (NICSI) by navigating through the following links :-
NICS/ (official website) –> OFFERINGS –> HARDWARE PERIPHERALS -> FINGER SCANNERS/BIOMETRICS –> AEABS PRODUCTS.
6. It is presumed that the offices chosen for introduction of Biometric attendance system in the first phase already have functional network facility. A small amount is however being sanctioned for upgrading the networking facility and contingency expenses as required.
Tele Directorate of Railway Board has made the following observations regarding networking:-
a. Wall mounted devices have provision for SIM slots. This to be used for net connectivity.
b. Railway may strengthen their existing (if available ) WLAN network utilising the networking cost provisioned for this purpose.
c. Railways to provide WLAN network, if not available, and strengthen its railnet network, if required from its own resources.
7. The following guidelines/yardsticks are being laid down for operationalizing this system.
– Overall one device for every 15 employees for every unit (Zone, PU, Division, RDSO, METRO, CORE).
– One wall mounted or PC based device for every 20 staff members (other than Head of Department/Branch Officer).
-Wall mounted and PC based device to be split in 40: 60 ratio, broadly.
– One PC based device for every HOD and above in HQ/PU/RDSO/METRO/CORE and for every Branch Officer in Division.
Iris scanners for employees who cannot use finger based device maybe installed as under:-
-5 each for old railways
-3 each for new railways and 30 big divisions.
-2 each for PUs, others and 40 small divisions.
– 20 percent variation in number of devices may be made to suit local conditions and provision may be made for spares as well.
Rs. 2.0 lacs for every old railway Zonal HQ and big divisions ( > 25000 employees) and Rs. 1.5 lacs for others, for network upgradation and other contingent expenses.
8. The introduction of Biometric attendance system does not alter in any way the provisions for late attendance and debiting of leave account and instructions issued on this subject shall apply under the new system as well. Further instructions regarding marking of attendance by staff on duty shall follow. In the meantime Railways may start procuring and installing the system and test it out for a month, before making it compulsorily functional.
9. Instructions regarding provisioning of funds and their accountal shall follow after consultation with Accounts Directorate.
Railways may in the meantime start their planning for implementation of this system.
DA: As above
Source: RAILWAY BOARD